Friday, January 18, 2008

I didn't know my pelvis had a floor.

Has anyone ever had any experience with pelvic floor disorder? My friend, C, was recently diagnosed with it and since this is a vagina-centric place, I thought one of you may have it or know someone that does.

I did put on my Dr. Google stethoscope and find lots of info about it. Here's just a little:

Types and Symptoms

All pelvic floor disorders are essentially hernias, in which tissue protrudes abnormally because another tissue is weakened. The different types of pelvic floor disorders are named according to the organ affected. Often, a woman has more than one type. In all types, the most common symptom is a feeling of heaviness or pressure in the area of the vagina—a feeling that the uterus, bladder, or rectum is dropping out. Symptoms tend to occur when the woman is upright and to disappear when she is lying down. For some women, sexual intercourse is painful. Mild cases may not cause symptoms until a woman is older.

Other than surgery, the only thing that can be done is strengthen the muscles around the vagina. So do your Kegel exercises, ladies!

1 comment:

McTwat said...

This sounds deeply unpleasant. I will be doing kegels all day.