Friday, October 19, 2007

A helpful warning

The Oval Office has recommended that I share this delightful and appropriate sign, posted over the baggage claim conveyor belt at JFK Airport. So many euphemistic possibilities.



Most unfortunately, I was unable to retrieve my camera fast enough when, after an equipment malfunction stalled the movement of the bags, an airport employee proceeded to disobey the sign in a dramatic fashion by holding aside the rubber flaps and climbing right into the "opening." So naughty! It made me realize that I've always been somewhat intrigued by the baggage claim apparatus and the mysterious magic that delivers my suitcase to me. An "opening" seems to invite speculation about what goes on behind or inside of it; the need for this sign offers proof of the irresistible urge to penetrate these mysteries at peril of life and limb...

1 comment:

The Oval Office said...

What makes me want to pee my pants is the actual use of the word "temptation." Whoever made that sign has his/her finger on the pulse of human desire. But seriously, I do have trouble not sticking things into other things, especially if the other thing looks like it carries electrical current. Case in point: in my office is a weird little box-like thing (!) that has a hole in it (go figure) that sort of looks like an outlet. Except it's not. But almost every day, I approach the hole and stick a pen into it. Or my pinky. I'm glad I'm setting a good example for small children.